Whenever you see an article with a title like "Find out which surprising altcoin has risen 247% in the last year", it's usually about Chainlink. What makes Chainlink unique is not so much that it pumped massively last year, altcoins pump all the time, it's the fact that Chainlink is holding on to its value.
As high as the surge has been, we still have to ask: is Chainlink a good project with solid fundamentals? Chainlink's value proposition is that it will be used as a payment mechanism to support a network of decentralized oracles (oracles are data feeds that connect blockchains to off-blockchain data).
How to buy Chainlink (if you have crypto).
If you already have cryptocurrency, purchasing Chainlink is easy! First, download the Exodus wallet, as this will allow you to directly exchange another cryptocurrency for LINK. After downloading Exodus, you can follow these steps.
Note: these instructions are for Exodus Desktop. If you are using Exodus Mobile, follow these instructions to learn how to exchange on mobile devices.
1. open your Exodus wallet and select the cryptocurrency you have and want to exchange for LINK. Exodus automatically lists dozens of today's most popular cryptocurrencies, but if you don't see the coin you have, you can add it to Exodus by clicking Add at the bottom of the listed cryptocurrencies
2. once you find the coin in the Exodus wallet, you can click Receive
3. Exodus will display a cryptocurrency address where you can send your crypto. Once you send the coins, the transaction will be deleted and you will have the coins in your Exodus wallet. Then click on the Exchange button - the two arrows to the right of the Receive button.
4. select the cryptocurrency you have and want to exchange for a LINK, and select how much LINK you want to buy
5. Click exchange and the transaction will start. Depending on which cryptocurrency you are trading (e.g. BTC is slower while XRP is faster), the exchange may take only a few minutes or longer. Once the transaction is complete, you will be able to see your newly purchased LINK in your Exodus wallet!
How to buy Chainlink (if you don't have crypto).
If you don't have crypto yet, you can use Cash App, Coinbase, or another service to buy Bitcoin or another popular crypto, which you can then exchange for LINK.
Some services also allow you to buy Chainlink directly with government currencies like US dollars and euros.
For example, below we've written a quick guide on how to buy Chainlink on Coinbase, a popular central exchange service.
However, once you have purchased your LINK, we always recommend that you remove it from the exchange and store it in a secure wallet such as a hardware wallet (you can use a Trezor hardware wallet with Exodus), Exodus (desktop and mobile), or your preferred wallet.
This is because centralized exchanges are often hacked and are not a safe place to store crypto in the long run.
How to buy Chainlink on Coinbase.
For this article, we will assume that you already have a Coinbase account. While Coinbase has a somewhat controversial reputation (what cryptocurrency exchange doesn't?) they remain one of the most reliable and secure onboarding platforms in crypto. To buy Chainlink on Coinbase.
1. click " Portfolio" at the top of the Coinbase page.
2. search and click on "Chainlink
3. click on "Buy Chainlink
4. select how much Chainlink you would like to buy and your preferred payment method
5. click buy
That's it! If you buy with a debit card (more fees), you can withdraw the LINK from Coinbase within 30 seconds or one minute. If you use a bank account (less fees) to purchase Chainlink, you will not be able to withdraw the coins from another exchange or your Exodus wallet for up to five days.
If you want to track Chainlink price, the easiest way to do so is through Exodus crypto charts.
Unlike CoinMarketCap, which can seem a bit crowded, the Exodus charts are clean, easy to navigate, and a great way to find out the latest link prices from your desktop or cell phone.
Chainlink Wallet (Where to Store Chainlink).
Unfortunately, hacks are common in the cryptocurrency space, with more than $4 billion worth of crypto stolen in 2019 alone. If you are planning to buy LINK, it is important that you store it safely.
This is where the Exodus Chainlink Wallet comes into play.
Aside from allowing you to send, receive, and store LINK securely, the Exodus LINK Wallet has the following features:
- Supports over 100 crypto assets
- Focuses on premium design and ease of use
- Is the only wallet that supports desktop, mobile and hardware wallet (Trezor) integration
- Allows you to exchange cryptos directly from your wallet-without creating an account!
- Gives you the ability to sync your wallet between desktop and mobile
- Has 24/7, quick human support if you ever need help
We hope this guide to buying Chainlink was helpful to you. Be sure to check our other articles expounding more on this as well as other topics.